Here’s a question I get asked almost daily…
What causes a subluxation?
If you’re not yet familiar with the word, a subluxation is when one or more of the vertebrae’s of the spine are not in alignment. This often leads to muscle tension/spasm (95% of all muscle tension is muscle guarding or defensive in nature). However, worse than that, it’s a sign that your nervous system is under exhaustive stress.
So what causes a subluxation?
Here is a list of the most common causes…
- Prolonged sitting posture at your work
- Repetitive movements at work (assembly, operating machinery, data entry etc)
- Prolonged Driving (>1hr/day)
- Poor sleeping habits
- Inactivity or lack of exercise
- Too much sugar in your diet (coffee, cereals, snacks, desserts etc)
- Too much processed foods in your diet (breads, cakes, muffins, waffles, canned foods etc)
- Not enough daily water intake
- Not enough oxygen intake (too many pollutants)
- Work stress (not happy with your job, overloaded with tasks, etc)
- Family stress
- Relationship stress
- Negative thoughts
- Low confidence, low self esteem
- Lack of purpose in life
- Worrisome attitude
You may ask, well how does too much processed food effect my spine ?
Through the nervous system ! Remember, the nervous system controls all functions of the body. The body’s ability to digest and filter toxins has an effect on the nervous system….and the effects are COMPOUNDED ! It’s this accumulated stress on the nervous system that does the most damage.
This may not be the reason why you START chiropractic care, but this IS the reason why chiropractic care should be a part of your “healthy life” strategy.
And this is reason why families on regular chiropractic care always report the same results !
- Sleeping better ( Theta brain waves normalized )
- Fighting off colds and flu’s easier (immune system improved)
- Responding better in stressful situations (sympathetic nervous system balanced)
- Regular bowel movements ( parasympathetic nervous system balanced)
- Less headaches (neck muscles are relaxed – less muscle guarding)
….and these are just a few of the responses we hear on a daily basis.
Why am I telling you this ? Because when you know WHY you need chiropractic – not just to help you get out of pain – you become PROACTIVE about your health. Living reactively is NOT a life strategy, it’s an ‘I’m just getting by’ strategy.
Get your nervous system checked. It’s the interface between you and the world….it’s your operating system. Take care of it and it’ll take care of you !
Hope you have an awesome Family Day Weekend !!! :))
To your health,
Dr. John Filo
Yonge Finch Chiropractic & Health Centre
5650 Yonge St. Suite 1A – Ground floor
North York, ON
Tell us what you think.